Monday, 10 August 2026

Mark Steel: What The F*** Is Going On, Assembly Rooms Ballroom, Edinburgh Fringe 2026

 By Ollie Wilson

Mark Steel is a big name in comedy - on stage and on Radio 4 - and I have seen him perform on stages large and small, from big halls to tiny bars in Brighton. He is always good. . . but this show is absolutely outstanding!

What the fuck is going on, in Britain, in the world, in society? You might well ask. It is hard to deny that we are in a mess. 

Mark took his packed audience through a hilarious whirlwind of prime ministers before turning to the impact of technology, the incredible generational inflation in property values and rent costs, the collapse of council housing and pretty much every aspect of modern living. I was laughing too much to write them all down.

His brilliant performance reminded me of how adept he is at doing regional accents and impressions of the famous. I like Mark - he is a friendly, down-to-earth guy. And unlike many comedians, who simplify complicated issues for laughs, his material is pretty accurate. Privilege still dominates. Technology screws us up. Life has become a bit of a nightmare.

But Mark manages to make it so funny. I have been coming to the Edinburgh Fringe since 1997 and have rarely seen a more hilarious show!

So, for once, let's break with the reviewing star system - and give it SIX stars!

Star Rating: ******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback welcome.