Thursday, 20 August 2026

Gregor Fisher in Conversation with Nigel West, Gilded Balloon Teviot, Edinburgh Fringe 2026

By Ollie Wilson

This was a very interesting run-through of super-talented Gregor Fisher's illustrious career - to a very appreciative, predominantly Scottish audience - who thoroughly enjoyed the 'conversation' with Nigel West.

I have always been interested in his work, watching Rab C Nesbitt, although it was not entirely my cup of tea, and absolutely loving Para Handy. In fact, I recall I was the only UK national newspaper television critic to give The Tales of Para Handy TV series a rave review. 

It was fascinating to hear about the other things he has done and to get a sense of this great man (back in the day, my interview requests were always turned down!) He has a gentle wit and is wonderfully indiscreet. On his impending, top-secret role in TV drama Shetland, he said: 'I might be the thing [that's done it], I'm not allowed to say!' 

Now I am myself working primarily as an actor, I probably laughed louder at the his drama school tales than the rest of the audience, as he joked about being forced to learn Received Pronunciation and doing 'tree and vine work', getting a boner in his leotard. In fact, I picked up quite a lot on acting from what he said in this conversation, so thanks for that, Gregor. And the repertory theatre black-and-white pictures of a young Fisher in various servant roles were gorgeous. In one, he was pictured with his wife to be, a posh lass. 'My mother said to me, "Do you not think you are aiming a bit high?".' 

The section about his first series, Scotch and Rye, was fascinating. . . and I had forgotten about his brilliant Hamlet cigar adverts. Nigel West had done his homework and did a good job at keeping the show clicking along. 

The Al Pacino bit was also excellent and hilarious, and showed to me how humble Gregor Fisher is, a private, grounded Scotch bloke with a lot of skill, talent and dedication to the art of acting. I left the hall, feeling very glad I had just spent a wee bit of quality time in his company.

Star Rating: *****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback welcome.